Tuesday, April 22, 2014

You'll Laugh About This Later

Song of The Day:I Don't Care - Fall Out Boy

So I went out with some friends tonight and one thing lead to another and we started talking about our childhoods. It didn't take  two seconds before something that mortified us when we were kids turned into the funniest shit we had ever heard.

The whole car devolved into this.



You know the old expression you'll laugh about this later. It's one of those phrase you hear all the time but never really think about.Then one day it just clicks and you start to understand it . Tonight was sort of that night for me. Mostly because even my most embarrassing story wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was  and everyone had there own special embarrassing stories. It felt great that this idea finally sunk into my brain.


This was my face after it sunk.



As I thought about it later though  I began to think of all the uses that phrase has been used.  It occurred to me that it  is said in a wide range of negative experiences some of which are not something that can really every be laughed  about.


Yes I will always laugh about that time my pet died in an accident.

Which in turn leads me to the question. When is the phrase you'll laugh about this later appropriate? When should we use it?


I would like to think that it should only be used in time when the person saying it knows for a fact that it is something that can be easily gotten over in time. Telling someone that they will eventually laugh about the fact that someone took advantage of them is just never going to be true.


It's always great to laugh about the time that someone used me.



There are just some things that the phrase you'll laugh about this later do not apply. Yet there is always one douchebag that will say it anyway even when it so clear that it is something touchy to the person they were talking to. Just to get them angry.


Don't be that douchebag, ladies and gentlemen,


Most people aren't  douchebags though  and sometimes people say this to try and make people feel better in the moment. That is noble and in certain situations it is a repsonsible response.

Like that time that you accidentally burned yourself playing with fire.




Then there are sometimes  it  is the worst thing you can say because there are time when  people need to understand that somethings we can't just laugh about later. There are negative experiences that are too heavy for that and they need to be treated as such or the person experiencing them may not be able to  understand the emotions that they  may experience over  that event in the future.


This will be them and nothing will be alright.



 So dear readers. Do you agree with me? Do you think  there are some situations that the phrase you'll laugh about this later are inappropriate? Or do you have a different opinion? I would love to know in the comments below.



That's all for now. Have a blessed day,



Lydia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any Thoughts?